1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

000webhost.com pdo and php 5.3

Discussion in '000webhost.com General Support Forum' started by Bad Karma[CORE], May 27, 2011.

1. Bad Karma[CORE]

Bad Karma[CORE] Erm... Staff Member

Good news for all those users that were whining about PDO not being available for free accounts. The 000webhost.com admin team will, once they upgraded and moved the new servers, make the PDO extension available for free accounts. Also PHP 5.3 is supposed to be installed on the new servers which is good news for all those users waiting for WordPress 3.2 to be released. WordPress 3.2, i believe, requires at least PHP 5.3 to run, so we will see many free hosting services either upgrade their PHP installation if not upgraded already, or loos customers because of not supporting PHP 5.3 ^^
  2. Emmanuel

Emmanuel Complete Idiot !!!

First of all, i would like to say (from the bottom of my heart) screw 000webhost.

Well, practically these upgrades don't impress me at all. I know there are a free host and we are not supposed to expect a lot from a free host but screw them. At least there should have kept those wordpress websites online. Apart from daily "error connecting to database errors"

Do you think thats these upgrades are going to improve their service?
  3. lobrc

lobrc secret

Root also said (if I remember correctly) that the new servers will be 2 times faster and have 2 times more space :wink
  4. Emmanuel

And what about the downtimes? More?
  5. Bad Karma[CORE]

I'd be all happy about him using servers that are 2 times faster and have 2 times more space than the current ones. Would cut down on tickets complaining about slow loading and "Disk Full" errors. But then.....it's root hehe
    Yes, with an increase of server performance there comes an increase of downtime. I am not sure whether the downtime is going to be twice as much :p
  6. willypt

willypt Web Developer @ FelineRulezTahWorld Co.

If root care to cut down some $-eyed support guys, user complaints will goes down and when it comes to downtime, the user won't complaint, hehe
    Root really needs many professional support guy who isn't the can-reply typical and checking the problem before answering a ticket
  7. Bad Karma[CORE]

Yup, a paid support role would be nice. But even the support staff that gets paid will use lots of canned replies.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. willypt

That means, root have to search for a support staff that dedicate his life a support guy.. :)
    Is that you? *pointing to BK*
    hehe
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bad Karma[CORE]

If root lives up to his word and his project moves forward then i might become a paid support staff member this summer. He contacted me about that a while ago.

Back to the servers: i am afraid that twice the performance might mean twice the number of accounts per server.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bad Karma[CORE]

000webhost started moving servers a few days ago and so far it's not that much of a mess as i suspected it to be hehe.
  11. lobrc

lobrc secret

I highly doubt he'll fix all the other issues (file manager etc) if this goes successful like he promised :roll
  12. lobrc

lobrc secret

I highly doubt he'll fix all the other issues (file manager etc) if this goes successful like he promised :roll
  13. Emmanuel

Lets join hands and pray that root does try to improve the 000webhost service. :exo
  14. Bad Karma[CORE]

most, if not all, of the current issues like the site builder and file manager won't be resolved as they are not affected by the server move. If i am not wrong the site builder runs on a separate server which also hosts the 000 website. The actual problem with the site builder i think is that the server it is hosted on just can't cope with all the users trying to access the site builder.

The file managers are a different story, especially the "Another File Manager" which seems to be hosted on a MySQL server. Wonder why it's not installed on each server
  15. Bad Karma[CORE]

Now, as the first serves were moved, i checked the phpinfo() on the new boxes and some PHP extensions are indeed enabled. PDO, openssl, xmlrpc (which is needed for remote blogging), SOAP (which is not available on the old servers) and a few others. Sadly, the PHP version is 5.2.17 and not 5.3 :/
  16. willypt

Why they don't upgrade it to 5.3?
  17. Bad Karma[CORE]

I don't know. If i remember correctly the new servers were supposed to run PHP 5.3 and not 5.2.17
  18. willypt

Perhaps they'll do server moving first and after all finished, they'll just bring all servers down and install PHP 5.3 simultaneously...
  19. Bad Karma[CORE]

Seems the server move did not go without some problems. I see a lot of support tickets submitted by users that use an A-Record to point their domain to their 000webhost.com account. Since the server IP changed, and 99% of them were not smart enough to update the IP address of the A-Record, their domain is still pointing to the old server and they see the "under maintenance" message. Wonder if it wouldn't have been more efficient to add to the announcement that the IP needs to be changed.
  20. willypt

You can't make it like the server moving announcement is done?
    I believe there's somehow a function that enables you guys to mass-announce to all account... :)
    Put this
    "Read THIS or your account will be cancelled" hehe